Thank you to everyone who voted in the Fantasy New Build poll, and to everyone who contributed to the lively and interesting discussion in the comments. In total, 494 votes were cast – infuriatingly short of a round 500! However, with such a long list to choose from, voting so far doesn’t give a clear victory even to the top choice, so the two most popular choices are presented in the poll above, in a run-off to find a clear-cut winner.
Interestingly, the votes in the first poll favoured the arguably most impractical suggestions. The top two choices are a prototype that was taken no further by its creators, and a locomotive that its designers have already declared will not be built at all! However, the vote was held on the basis of no restrictions (other than being a UK design, standard gauge and a steam locomotive), and above all on the basis that it should be a bit of fun, so rest assured there has been, and will be, no editorial tinkering to produce what some might view as a more ‘sensible’ result.
During the course of the voting, the Great Bear held a consistent lead, with the LMS Garratt and 5AT regularly swapping between 2nd and 3rd places, before 5AT nudged ahead and in fact tied with The Great Bear exactly by the end. With the LNER Class W1 ‘Hush Hush’ in 4th, the arguably more practical locomotives for today’s preserved or main line operations don’t appear until the Caledonian Railway Cardean 4-6-0 and LBSCR K-class mogul in 5th and 6th places. Some options that appeared popular in the comments, such as the two Atlantics on the list or the proposed BR Standard mikado, came nowhere in the actual voting.
We hope you’ve enjoyed the poll so far, and will cast a final vote to find the most popular, albeit hypothetical, Fantasy New Build project. We may run a similar poll in a year’s time, perhaps taking a more curated approach to identify practical suggestions – keep an eye out in late 2017. In the meantime, this run-off poll will be open until late January (the closing date will be confirmed on social media and in the comments section), and the final news round-up of 2016 will be published shortly.
For the record, the full results of the first poll were (with vote share as a percentage):
- THE GREAT BEAR 8.7%
- 5AT 8.7%
- LMS GARRATT 7.89%
- LNER CLASS W1 6.68%
- CALEDONIAN RAILWAY ‘CARDEAN’ CLASS / 903 OR 49 CLASS 6.07%
- LONDON, BRIGHTON AND SOUTH COAST RAILWAY CLASS K 5.87%
- SOUTHERN RAILWAY LEADER CLASS 5.87%
- LONDON, BRIGHTON AND SOUTH COAST RAILWAY CLASS L1 / ‘REMEMBRANCE’ CLASS 5.67%
- MIDLAND RAILWAY LICKEY BANKER (‘BIG BERTHA’) 4.86%
- LNER CLASS P1 4.86%
- LNWR CLAUGHTON CLASS 4.45%
- GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY CLASS N9 / LNER CLASS A5 4.45%
- LONDON, BRIGHTON AND SOUTH COAST RAILWAY CLASS E2 3.44%
- LNER CLASS A8 3.44%
- LONDON, BRIGHTON AND SOUTH COAST RAILWAY ‘JENNY LIND’ CLASS 2.83%
- MIDLAND RAILWAY CLASS 3F 2.83%
- BR STANDARD CLASS 8(?)F 2.43%
- HIGHLAND RAILWAY ‘RIVER’ CLASS / CALEDONIAN RAILWAY CLASS 938 2.23%
- LONDON AND SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY CLASS 395 2.23%
- NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY H CLASS / LNER CLASS C10 (LATER REBUILT AS C11) 2.23%
- NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY CLASS Z / LNER CLASS C7 2.23%
- LONDON, BRIGHTON AND SOUTH COAST RAILWAY J1 OR J2 1.62%
- GLASGOW AND SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY CLASS 540 0.4%
Further information about all the contenders can be found via the original article.